Wednesday, June 3, 2020

A Real Man and Knowing What Matters





A Real Man
By D.M. McGowan
2018

He’s a man tells the truth unless it hurts a friend
And at those times he might give it a little bend
But if it hurts only him he’ll say just what he saw
No matter what the outcome or how the chips might fall

He supports moral action and treating others fair
If someone really needs it he’ll be the one to share
But if they only complain, always wanting more
You may find he didn’t hear it and walked out the door.

He knows there are those around don’t understand his code
They seem to think they’re owed all the things they stole
If he suspects eyes are watching he’ll nod and walk away
But lonely road or dark of night, someday someone will pay.

When he’s helping others he’d rather no one know
The help he gives his fellow man isn’t done for show
If everyone works together and the highs help the lows
Then each and every one of us will prosper and grow.


Knowing What Matters

© D.M. McGowan  2018

He rode an old McClellan that had seen better days
But he sat up there like a king who controlled all he surveyed
His mount a buckskin mare as pretty as you’ve seen
With legs meant for working and eyes bright and clean
Behind him trailed a mule, a fine example of the breed
A pack piled high with goods but no halter or a lead

I asked him where he’s headed and where he might have been
The reason for his travel and what he might have seen
“I’ve seen the greatest country that God ever made
Sometimes mountain vistas, sometimes a grassy plain.
I’ve seen family members who make me feel ashamed
And many fellow workers who lie their way to fame

I’ve seen herds of caribou clicking cross the plain
Massive Mountain Grizzlies, great horses wild and tame.
I’ve seen massive progress ended by greedy fools
Or by those who need control and impose silly rules
And others stopping growth by thinking with their heart
When simple logic tells ‘em the horse is behind the cart.

We all get our little chance but others need a turn
The younger need some room to grow to build to learn
When I’ve done my time, my life here is thru
I don’t want my final vision to be only gloom and fools.
I’ll be free of all that as will the mule and mare
We’ve trod the greatest land, together scenery shared

It all makes my former life shallow and pale
And now where I travel nothing is ever stale
I’ve had my days of wealth measured in dollars and cents
With days, weeks and years surrounded by wall and fence
But now I have much more, a far greater treasure
Surrounded by natures wonders, beauty that can’t be measured


Any measure of success may not be right for all
The test that has some rise up will make others fall
I hope the path I travel and the message that I preach
Will be heard and understood by people that I meet
No one has the right to say that my view is wrong
Nor do I have the right to condemn another’s song

But enjoy the journey and help your fellow man
Have a laugh and learn, and make a proper stand
For something you believe, give it a proper fight
And if you should lose and you know you might
Within your heart you’ll know you did your very best
And did what you thought right when put to the test.





No comments:

Post a Comment