What's Your Best Book

 


Question #4. Which of your books are you personally most proud of, and why?

 

Works out to be the same as asking about your having a favorite child: the one I’m dealing with right at the time is my favorite.

I’m in the process of recording “The Making of Jake McTavish” for an audio version and I’m constantly coming to some phrase I’ve forgotten I used that I feel is “cute” or an “interesting mechanism” to develop some reaction in or from the reader.

I’ve been giving away recordings of my first published story, “The Great Liquor War” which I’ve always thought could have been a much longer story with a lot more historical information. However, in the process of checking the recording for things like volume, continuity and understanding, I was surprised by how well the story works to not only tell of the working lives of the time but some of the action around a large construction project.

Upper Fort Gary in 1879 --- it'll make sense ina minute

The fourth story in “People of the West: A short story timeline” is a story I created from “whole cloth” that I believe demonstrates, through the character “Janet” the tough, strong women who built the west. When I say “whole cloth” I mean I’ve never heard a similar story or do I know a Janet. Yes, I know many woman who have built, helped to build or expanded existing cattle operations and farms and those operations are the finished modern operations of today. Yes, most of those women work and act in a calm, controlled and productive manner through a variety of difficulties but when they decide to straighten things out, get THE HELL OUT OF THEIR WAY!

Catherine Schubert (nee O’Hare) was the only female member of a group of “Overlanders” who by horseback and Red River cart travelled from Fort Gary (Winnipeg) to the Thompson River. They then spent 6 weeks attempting to raft down to Kamloops where, before reaching that long time trading post, Catherine gave birth to her 4th child. She and her family then walked to Barkerville and became part of the Cariboo gold rush, though at least 2 years too late for any of the early discoveries.

Barkerville main street cattle drive about 1869
Sheepshead Claim, Williams Creek

Those women are not confined to cattle operations either. They were of a variety of life styles and locations and where and important part, a seldom recognized part of what built the country, including the west.

I believe “Stealing Janet’s Cattle” not only depicts those women but is a tribute to their character and the children and institutions they developed.

Women welders at a Canadian munitians factory WW I


Yes, all the stories did what I wanted them to do and in answer to a specific question I might pick one over the others, but in general, as with kids, I like them all. Ask me about diverse characters learning to get along with each other? That would be “Partners”. Ask me about conforming to the letter of the law, well that would NOT be “Partners.”

Answering this question does lead to something else that is closely related. I’ve never published a manuscript that I thought was truly “finished.” There is always something that could be better or something else to be added.

That includes editing, for no matter how many times you go over it there is always something that needs repair. In my case it’s usually a typo although “where” and “were” are bound to be misplaced. More often than that it’ll be “though” when it should have been “thought”. “Thee” instead of “there”, “cone” instead of “done” and no matter how many times I read it over I miss them because my brain translates what is written to what should be.

Something else is the great love you build for the character you’ve created which results in a gargantuan need to fully explain him / her. “If I add this little anecdote in chapter x? the reader will understand why he mistreats women.”. “I could go back and add another ….”

NO!  Use all those ideas to start a new novel.

YOU ARE DONE WITH THIS ONE! MOVE ON!

Here are three "digital only" collections that are only $1.95 USD

https://books2read.com/Alaska-Highway

https://books2read.com/What-Matters

https://books2read.com/Janets-Cattle

 Leave a comment or take a look at a few slide-shows with some dialogue at https://www.youtube.com/@davemcgowan6231

 Look at some entertainment with a longer life at

www.Books2Read.com/DM-McGowan

 OR

https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B004V9WZVI

because a book is good for at lest three reads over the years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Black Day For Gerald Stanley

It just doesn't work!

LET’S CLEAN THIS UP!