Why Write?

Why Write? 

Because it's not wrong!

This saddle was made in Flatrock BC in the late 191? or early 1920s specifically for wile horse racing. It was revuilt in 1984 in Armstrong BC.

I keep getting asked questions about writing in general and my writing in particular. In the next few posts, I’m going to try answering those questions.

While I’m on the subject, don’t forget to check out GRIT, the arts magazine of Arts North East ( https://artsnortheast.org/) and if you have a short story or info about your other artistic endeavors, contact the Executive Director at ed@artsnortheast.org

At sunrise (4:50 am) July 17,2018 I was preparing to unload Diesel Fuel on a lease about to be set up for fracking

The first question is:

. Looking back over your 30+ years as a novelist, what is the biggest lesson you wish you'd learned much earlier?

 

To answer that question fully I think I should set up some back-ground.

Having been involved in sales a little, I know that I’m not good at it or at advertising and marketing. But I did know in the beginning that those aspects constitute a large part of the so called “Successful Author”. So, I spent many years attempting to find a traditional publisher, aware that they have experts in those areas along with established distribution networks.

With the direct approach taught in many writing tutorials I found that less than 10% of queries are ever read by anyone and perhaps 1% of those opened receive a response. Sometime around the third year I learned that any traditional publisher who is diligent is also busy and responds to nothing that isn’t first presented by an agent. I then discovered that any agent that is any good is too busy to accept new clients.

After a decade of this I must admit I was becoming angry. Publishers and agents have lots of time to go to colleges, universities, Literary and Writer’s groups and talk about the marvelous traditional publishing industry, but they don’t have time to look at anyone’s manuscripts, including the attendees at the function.

Yes, I’d still like to have a traditional publisher with the marketing and distribution but I’m sorry I wasted over a decade and a half playing their silly game.

By going the independent route, I discovered that there ARE readers out there hungry for what I do. Which leads me to the second lesson.

In the novels or “story” world you will want to upgrade stories as you make changes. This may be because you’ve added a print to what was originally digital. It may be because you want to link some character or an actual historical event to another new story. There could be many reasons, but ALWAYS MAKE COPIES OF YOUR REVIEWS!  When you re-publish an existing story in a new format, with a clarification, a new edit or for any other reason those reviews will disappear and you’ll be starting all over from zero.

One good review, including those with constructive criticism, is worth as much as roughly four sales, not only in regards to fans and future sales but also in your development as a writer, your ability to satisfy fans, and the growth of what you saw as your original goal.

So, what is the first lesson and the solution? If you can develop a relationship with a traditional publisher or a literary agent DO So. But don’t stop your development as a writer if you don’t have one. Write what you want, develop it and move on to the next project. Go back and review those earlier works and make sure they present what you want. Keep writing. Keep looking for a publisher. Check out hose publishing opportunities that are cost free or very nearly so. The two that I use, Amazon and Draft2Digital are virtually cost free up front but then you pay for print copies. My son uses Lulu for print.

As for promotion of yourself and your writing, don’t forget a website 

(https://theyounginevitables.com/ )

YouTube   ( https://www.youtube.com/@davemcgowan6231

All the social media sites you can put up with

( https://www.instagram.com/dmcg.owan99/

…. https://www.facebook.com/david.mcgowan.56 )

 

If you can afford it, go to conventions and talk to authors. DO NOT listen only to some e rebel outlaw in the BC Peace Country.

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Black Day For Gerald Stanley

It just doesn't work!

LET’S CLEAN THIS UP!