Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Rhymes, Songs and Videos




Well, truly it's about learning to make videos and post them on YouTube.

          I’ve been experimenting with a video camera and attempted to save some of the rhymes and songs I’ve written in the digital world. Apparently I need to practice a bit more, not only on posting but on my presentation.
          “Cattle Business” seems to be doing all right over at Amazon; you can take a look and even read a sample by clicking on the book cover over to the right. I’ve also put together some of my short stories in a collection I’m calling (for now anyway) “People of the West: A Timeline”. It includes several stories from 1798 to 1967. I just sent it off to a good friend/editor/reader for his perusal and comments.
          But back to the videos;
          One of my rhymes entitled “Inclusion”. I wrote this in the spring of 2018 when I was asked to perform at a multi-cultural festival in Dawson Creek and recited it in between a couple of songs.
Inclusion by D.M. McGowan 2018
          The next rhyme was a result of someone commenting on the types of characters I create as the main protagonists in my stories. Yes, there are “black hats” but I like to create a situation where morality and integrity triumph thereby creating some hope for readers in their own future.
A Real Man by D.M. McGowan 2018
          This third one is a song I took 17 years to write. On June 20th 1972 I was driving a Mack truck from Cassiar BC to Watson Lake, Yukon Territory. I was having trouble seeing the road since the sun was shining in my eyes. I looked at my watch and it was 11:30 pm. Within a few miles I had the course in my head and for some reason it stayed there – most of the time I have to check my license to get my name but somehow I remembered those few lines.
          In 1989 Karen and I put together a tape which we sold at the many venues where we performed. Karen had dozens of songs but I didn’t have many so I sat down with the course and added a couple of verses.
          Speaking of memory, I wish I could remember the lines to “Come See the Willow Weep”!
To Compare With You by D.M. McGowan 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment